Barker BlockLos Angeles, CA
Stretching an entire block in downtown Los Angeles’ Arts District, Barker Block encompasses seven former industrial buildings transformed into modern loft homes. Designed to incorporate gallery areas, spacious floor plans and mezzanine levels, the homes feature stylish finishes and plenty of room for work and relaxation. Urth Caffe, one of Los Angeles’ most popular organic coffee houses, occupies the retail space.
- Set pricing benchmarks for the Arts District by positioning the neighborhood as a desired residential address, increasing sales velocity by +50%.
- The Mark Company took over marketing and sales in October 2007 from another firm.
- Positioned the neighborhood for a renaissance similar to New York City’s Chelsea or Tribeca, evaluating and redefining the target audience to include younger entrepreneurial business owners, artists, musicians, designers, chefs and techies.
- Leveraged Barker Block’s natural appeal as a haven for artistic types and developed co-marketing event opportunities with edgier brands, such as Urth Caffe, to attract the right prospects.
- Events included free concerts, art showings, movie screenings, fashion shows, happy hours and cocktail parties to promote both Barker Block and the exciting evolution of the Arts District in downtown Los Angeles. Donated gallery space and low/no-cost leases for local artists and non-profit groups to help collectively grow the community.
- Developed separate marketing campaign for the project’s live/work units that included special financing programs and partnerships with the City to identify and attract small business owners.